Sunday, November 23, 2025

95 days sharing my mom's attributes!

95 attributes my mom possesses.

My mom was 95 years old when she died. When you envision a 95 year old lady, I guarantee, you do not come close to what my mom looks like, what she does or how she thinks.  So I dedicate this blog that I am going to share for the next, yes, 95 days to Lydia Mildred Steinke!  If my dear mom can endure the "Great Depression", (being born September 25, 1925)  marry Paul Albert Steinke May 4, 1946 then birth 6 babies and raise them to adulthood, recall “horse-n-buggy” days and the “icebox ” I surely can write about her attributes for 95 days!

Attribute; a quality or feature regarded as a characteristic or inherent part of someone or something.

So, day 1, the first attribute I would like to share about my mom, is her resourcefulness.  "Invention" the mother of necessity.  It may be the trait that is a constant not only with her, but with her generation.  She taught me early in my childhood, we all have ideas that can become reality.  She lived this principle out in her daily life. I was clueless many of her ideas were birthed out of a need to provide for her family.  Need is a great motivator in drawing out creative resourcefulness.   As I watched her example, day in and day out, the needle and thread were her tools she thanked God for and utilized.  As preschoolers, my little sister (Paulette) and I explored and created many toys, pillows, puppets and Christmas gifts sewing on the singer sewing machine and mom’s 3 needle machine.  With a room full of colored threads mounted on dowels in the wall, scraps of material to last a life time, ideas were endless.  I had such fun, however I had little skill. I did not inherit those sewing abilities, at all!  It skipped me, and went soaring into my middle son.  Not fair! My daughter, too, is certainly tapping into her sewing and crafting, more than what I own! In my youth, as a young mom, I couldn't piece together a pattern to save my life.  

I may not sew, but I have learned to become resourceful, somewhat.  One example of my resourcefulness is that I found ways to save money.  Great joy came when I washed cloth diapers and dried them on the clothes line helping our growing family! (By the way, my wonderful husband poured cement and installed a retractable square clothes line I used for many years!)  After all, having 4 babies in 5 years, meant there were two in diapers for around 4 years. 1989...being GREEN before it was in vogue, you youngsters!

I’m ok with having other gifts, other than sewing.  I may not be at a singer sewing machine right now, but as I sit with my laptop, I am writing this blog. So, mom, thank you for encouraging me in the areas that I possess creative abilities, like writing, and expressing myself.  That is scary for me, 🤔 because I nearly flunked high school English.  However, as I continue down this road, I will share about the
remaining 94 attributes regarding Lydia Mildred
 Steinke!  I love & miss you mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment